Tuesday, May 29, 2012

La Universidad

The first couple days of class have gone smoothely, of course we have already been assigned homework, but it's nothing, at least not yet.  The hours of reading and presentations are just around the corner.  At the end of the program, all of us in level 3 will present something from our grammer class, on anything we chose. We'll present it to not only the students in the program, but the professors, and all of our families.  Should be scary but fun!  Scary mostly because it'll be in Spanish infront of a ton of native speakers.  The professors are great, Margarita, Fernando, and Ernesto.  Every class is only an hour, which is nice.  Finishing at noon, we have a couple hours to have lunch at home with our families (the main meal of the day) and then afterwards head to our internships or "trabajos sociales".  We were told what we were assigned today, I'll be working at a school that helps children who don't have the best resources and come from low-income families.  I'm not sure if it will be with just children or with students up to 12th grade.  Me and two other girls are doing this.  I think we start next week.


We finally received the schedule for our summer program!!!  That has lots of activities and trips that are all set up for us.  We have several over-night trips, and day trips with the group.  Food and transportation provided.  Already by the 4th day in this program here in Quito, I love it extreeeemely more than the USAC program I chose in Madrid.  Granted, that has no affect on my opinion of either country or experience.  This Humboldt program is basically just a lot better.


Yesterday I took the bus by myself for the first time, from a mall up in the Pichincha hills and just used common sense to figure out what bus, where, and when to get off.  I felt accomplished.  Although I did get a little scared at one point, when I thought it was going too far.  But it was fine!


Today me and a few others walked all the way from UTE (our university) down to La Carolina park, all down the Pichincha volcano/mountain which was about a 45 min walk.  Played frisbee, and had my first drink here in Quito.  Although they say you feel the effects faster and more intensely at a high altitude, I felt just the same as I would have back at sea level.  We then walked all the way to La Mariscal or Gringolandia as the locals call it because of all the tourists.  Gringo=white/foreigners.  I was told to never come here alone, its a prime spot for smugglers, robbers, and such.  I've been on high alert in general here, especially these first few days.  Took a taxi for the first time here, with a friend, but still I felt accomplished again.  There are all these small steps I have subconsiously set up for myself to adjust and find compfort in my new city.


Walking confidently (looking like you know where you're going, even if you are completely lost) is key, and of course asking for directions if needed.  Sometimes that's the only option!  One thing that you have to do here is yell "PARE!" which means stop, to the bus driver.  They basically stop wherever, often skipping marked bus stops if no one is waiting or has yelled "pare".  Still being self conscious of  my accent, this will be difficult for me to do, especially if I'm trying to keep a low profile.


The creepy stares and annoying whistles haven't been as bad as I thought they would be.  They do happen, but not to the extent that I thought.  Covering up is key to not getting whistled at of course.  The women here in general wear pretty conservative clothing, but nice shoes.  They are into heels here, which is hard to adjust to coming from Humboldt, sandal/no shoe capital of the world.  I want to go shopping.  But I'm restricting myself until at least a week or two has passed since my arrival.


We have a tour of the city this Friday with the program after a breakfast all together, which I'm looking forward to.  It's nice having a class all together as well, even though it's mostly lecture. 


One of the bad things about having a Net-Book is that they don't have CD things, so I can't watch any of the many DVDS my host family has...kind of a bummer.  Hulu has been funky too, but at least there's the Simpsons website.

No comments:

Post a Comment