Saturday, May 26, 2012

Arrival

I flew into Quito, Ecuador last night along with the program director and a few other students around 9:30pm and got to the hotel where we ate dinner and pretty much fell to sleep right after, although by that time it was already almost 1am.  The flight went well, little turbulance, no movies, but I kept myself occupied with sleep and my Ecuador travel book where I noted a ton of things I want to do while here.  I don't think I will have the time or money to venture off into neighboring countries (I was REALLY hoping to go to Peru, but that'll call for another trip).  I am going to keep my travels to this country which in itself has so much to offer from the hot springs of the volano Tungurahua (which is incredibly active) located in Banos to the beaches of Guayaquil which reminds me of the Manu Chao song, "Guayaquil". 


Quito itself has much to offer, and I got to see a good part of it today via car rides.  My host mom Margot picked me up with her friend who lives very close and who also was picking up my friend Juan from the hotel.  They drove us around the grand park La Carolina which we are apparently very close to, I still need to walk about and figure out my surroundings.  I plan on taking runs there.  Her husband is Chileno (from Chile) and his name is Manuel, they have 3 children two of which are married and out of the house and their daughter Maria Jose (Moja) who is 22, still lives with them and is working.  Moja has been great with me, she took me out to the mall because she was shopping around for a birthday present for her boyfriend, and afterwards we went out to see a movie with two of her friends.  Super sweet girl, and the parents are great and warm and have already been calling me "mija" which means "my daughter" on more casual terms.  I think I ate some bad ice cream today that they had made but my stomach was able to handle it, thanks to multiple trips to Thailand. 


I have my own room, much bigger, with a bigger bed, in comparison to Spain.  I'm trying my hardest to not compare/contrast this experience with Spain because to each country their own.  It smells better in Quito than it did in Madrid, although it is a progressing third world country, kind of reminding me of Thailand a bit.  Large buildings and such but also run-downed abandonded buildings right next to them.  Not many stray dogs, which I was happy to see.  OH!  The family has an old Beagle dog that is 8 years old and makes funny snorting sounds all the time, her name is Moka.  She's kind of slow, but you can tell the family adores her. 



Last night I got uneasy vibes from driving around and seeing no women on the streets, actually barely anyone, minus the crowded bar areas in El Mariscal where many of the foreigners (and thieves) tend to hang out.  During the day however, plenty of women, men, and children walking about.  I was told to not walk home alone at night, which I have never taken very seriously until I got here.  I'm sure I will become more comfortable as the weeks past, but better safe than sorry!  It tends to get dark around 6 or 7, kind of a bummer since in California it was staying light until 9 or so.


I've been taking it easy (for the 20 hours I've been here) and plan to do so for the next couple days to adjust to the altitude.  I haven't experienced that much altitude sickness (headaches, nausea, tiredness) except for when I climb stairs or walk fast for long periods of time, because there is just not enough oxygen up here!  But I'll get used to it. 


I think I might have boughten a stolen phone from a store today...that's what my host parents think at least.  When they dial the number it doesn't work, but I am able to make calls.  I'm no good with that kind of stuff, maybe a new SIM card or something.  Everythin is closed on Sundays so I will check Monday after classes.  Monday I also get to find out what my internship will be!  We only have class from 9-12 in the morning, but Monday-Friday, which will make weekend trips difficult.  I want to make at least two trips to the coast, one to Guayaquil and the other to Canoa or Bahia de Caraquez.


Excited to discover the streets of Quito tomorrow, at least in my area, which I should actually locate on a map come to think of it.
Nos vemos!

No comments:

Post a Comment