Monday, June 18, 2012

Otavalo y La Mitad del Mundo


It has been a while since I last updated, and so much has happened and there have been so many things I have wanted to post about, I'll try my best!  We had our first over-night trip in Otavalo, the nearest indigenous population to Quito.  Known for their textiles and markets in general, I bought a good amount of stuff, and bargained! Successfully!  The small town (pueblo) was full of color and a more relaxed atmosphere. 
Here I am with two Otavalenas who sang for us in their indigenous language "Quechua" and are wearing their traditional clothing.  The scarf over one shoulder (girl on the right) means they are single, if it is covering both shoulders and tied in the middle of their chest, that means they are married.  I love their outfits, about $60 in total.
I chose to wake up at 5:30am to go with whoever else to visit the trade market they have here.  It use to be purely trade, with animal, grains, etc. but nowadays they accept money.  I asked how much for a live cuy (guinea pig) and they told me $10, and for a calf it was about $35.  Here I am lost in the heard of cows at this market.  Never had seen anything like this before!
We stopped at a beautiful view point of the Imbabura province, overlooking the San Pablo lake is the huge Imbabura volcano. 
We had a number of things to eat on our trip.  First we stopped in a town (I forget the name, there are so many!) that is known for "bizcochos" which are not very sweet but are kind of like shortbread, and you eat them with cheese and hot chocolate/coffee.  Delicious!
We also had typical dishes with salad, fish, etc.  This fish was kind of weird and rubbery though...I have never been so in love with fresh-juice (of all fruits you could imagine) made at home and also home-made ice cream/sorbert!
And then there's "cuy" or guinea pig.  Their traditional dish here.  It wasn't that bad, I just couldn't look it in the face while I was eating it.  Not much meat, kinda salty, but I ate it all.  Minus the intestines and brain...
Probably my favorite pueblo we visited was San Antonio en the Ibarra province.  This small town is notorious for it's wooden sculptures and crafts in general.  We got to talk to a couple of artists in the town, always great to hear about their work in their own words.  We also came across a sculpture fair where there were about 15 sculptures way bigger than me.  Never had seen such impressive wooden craftsmenship.

Two days ago we took a trip to La Mitad del Mundo (middle of the earth) where the equator runs through the town and you can step on it, put both feet in both hemispheres at the same time, museums, etc.  So here I am balancing on the equator.  The tower behind me has a ton of information on the numerous indigenous populations in Ecuador including their clothing, music, and customs.
Besides the tower and small museums, there is an area in the formation of a small town, all of which are shops, eaterys, bars, and in the middle there is a small plaza where they were holding music and traditional Ecuadorian folk dancing.  The dresses are so colorful and they always look like they are having a ton of fun!  We saw a short performance at my college here, and they pulled us in during the end to dance with them!  Didn't really know what to do, but just danced!
On the drive back from Otavalo to Quitio (less than an hour) it started to pour, with thunder and lightening, and some hail.  The streets were pretty flooded in some areas, came out of no where!  The weather in Quito is so bi-polar, it cleared up pretty nicely an hour or two later. 
So much more to happen in the next 6 weeks!  Which really, is a little amount of time.  I cannot believe it has already been a month, almost.  I still feel like a newbie, a foreigner walking the streets of Quito.  The bus system I've got down, loving the weather, and surrounded by the typical city-folk who have little to no time to even pass you a smile.  Exactly the same in SF.  The difference is, there are a ton of indigenous people walking around the city streets as well in their traditional attire.  Imagine if it was the same deal in SF, what it would be like! 

Felt a bit homesick this morning, nothing too extreme.  I wish I could have made it to Wyatt's graduation this past Thursday!  I need to see photos of my little man walking the stage.  I am craving some good Thai noodles from Mom's kitchen, probably the most dreadful factor of being homesick.  Not being able to have the food I want!  It's not bad here though, not like when I was in Spain and my diet consisted mostly of bread, cheese, and ham.  My mom here always asks what type of food I like, and I have become a huge fan of  "chicharon" which is pig skin and some meat here and there.  She said she'd make it for me, reminds me of Mom back home who always satisfies my cravings :) 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment